SV503 – Deflection of Curved Bars
The experiment deflection of curved bars allows the experimental investigation of the deflection observed when a load is applied to different shaped curved beams or bars as well as being able to validate calculated deflections found using Castigliano’s Theorem.
This experiment has the following properties:
- Six different curved bar specimens
- Up to 1.5kg of weight hangers to apply load to the specimens
- Two digital indicators to measure vertical and horizontal deflection
Supplied with Armfield structures software as standard
Six different bar specimens can be supported individually using a clamping mounting block. A vertical load is applied to the ends of the specimens using a pivoting load hanger.
The specimens use the same material and cross-sectional area and are similar in size. As a result, the deflection of these different specimens can be compared and evaluated.
The beam mounting bracket is universal for all of the curved beam experiments. These can be either clamped on the top or side of the bracket, depending on the specimen being tested. The specimens are clamped via 2 thumb screws allowing for ease of use without additional tools being required.
The load hanger is clamped to the specimen via a thumb screw. This assembly allows for the weight hanger to always be applying a force directly downwards from the end of the specimen as it is free to rotate around the clamping point.
The twin Dial Test Indicator (DTI) mount allows two digital indicators to be positioned perpendicular to each other. This allows the horizontal and vertical deflection components to be easily measured.
Universal Frame Mounting Hardware
- 1 x Half Circle Specimen
- 1 x Quarter Circle Specimen
- 1 x 45° Davit Specimen
- 1 x Curved Davit Specimen
- 1 x 90° Davit Specimen
Specimen Material: Aluminium (BS EN 755-2 EN AW-6082 T6)
- 1 x Specimen Mounting Block
- 1 x 500g Weight Hanger
- 1 x 1000g Weight Hanger
- 2 x Pivoting Load Hangers
- 1 x Twin DTI Mounting Kit
- 1 x Double Davit
- 2 x DTI’s
- 1 x Digital Calliper
Features & Benefits
- Supplied with a range of specimens, full circle, semi circle, quarter circle, curved davit, angled davit, double davit
- Allows the horizontal and vertical deflection components to be easily measured.
- Supplied with Armfield structures software as standard
- Simpson’s Rule
- Unit Force Method
- Castigliano’s Theorem
- Unit Force Method
- Simpsons Rule
- Castiglianos’ Theorem
- Storage temperature: -10°C to +70°C
- Operating temperature range: +10°C to +50°C
- Operating relative humidity range: 0 to 95%, non-condensing
SV100: Bench Mounted Frame
SV101: Structures Interface Unit
- SV100: Bench Mounted Frame
- SV101: Structures Interface Unit
- PC with a USB port, running Windows 7 or above
PACKED AND CRATED SHIPPING SPECIFICATIONS
Gross Weight: 25kg
- SV503: Deflection of Curved Bars
- SV100: Bench Mounted Frame (Sold separately)
- SV101: Structures Interface Unit (Sold separately)