FT74XA HTST/UHT System
The FT74XA is a highly flexible, miniature-scale HTST/UHT processing system which makes it ideal for new liquid product development.
It has a wide range of options to suit all needs and can be operated independently or as part of a continuous operation process with other Armfield equipment.
The FT74XA is compact, mobile and easy to install. It has an integral pressurised hot water generator and requires only electricity and cooling water to operate making it ideal for confined spaces with limited services such as laboratories.
Operation with either plate or tubular heat exchangers means a wide range of product viscosities can be handled. A progressive cavity feed pump ensures that flow rates are independent of viscosity/backpressure changes and allow a maximum operating pressure of 10 bar.
Typical processing flow rates are 10-20 L/h with holding temperatures up to 150°C. At pasteurisation temperatures flow rates of up to 60 L/h are achievable.
Cleaning is in place (CIP) using the feed pump in high flow rate mode and there is a centrifugal pump CIP option (FT74XA-52) which generates very high cleaning velocities to deal with products that are particularly difficult to clean.
Sterilisation (SIP) of the system is controlled from the touchscreen. System sterilization time and temperature are defined and key temperature sensors are monitored to ensure the entire system satisfactorily completes the SIP cycle.
Automatic pre-heat control (FT74XA-46) offers an independent hot water circuit and the product pre-heat temperature is set via the touchscreen.
The system is well instrumented for both process and services with all sensors displayed on the touchscreen and recorded values can be seen graphically and saved to USB datastick for further analysis.
- The FT74XA service unit provides the heating and cooling services, controls and instrumentation to run the Armfield miniature-scale heat exchangers as described below. The heat exchangers fit on top of the service unit and can be interchanged easily in just a few minutes.
- The service unit comprises a feed tank, a product pump, instrumentation for the heat exchangers and an electrically powered hot water boiler (4kw standard with 6 kW with FT74XA-46 controllable pre-heat option) with a recirculation pump. It is controlled by an integral programmable logic controller (PLC) with a 15” high resolution (1366×768) full colour touchscreen panel interface for the operator.
- Control is via a 15” touch screen (resolution: 1366×768).
- Operating modes include Processing, CIP and SIP. There is also a Maintenance mode for service and set-up.
- All sensor values and set points are shown and input on the screen. Sensor values can be recorded to a datafile to be downloaded by USB stick and then imported in Ms Excel. Sensor values can be observed in a graphical format on the touchscreen. The variables displayed and timescales of interest can be adjusted by the operator.
- Operating parameters for a particular product can be saved as a recipe to be called up for easy equipment set-up.
- The holding time is calculated from the measured flow rate and displayed on the touchscreen. As is the Fo value calculated from the holding time and temperature.Options to enhance the functionality of the FT74XA base unit include:
- Suction feed (FT74XA-41/53) – These two options allow the unit to be connected to a feed tank instead of using the hopper (-41). An automated valve can also be used to add water when product runs out (-53).
- Electromagnetic product flow meter (FT74XA-40) with readings datalogged
- Pneumatic pinch valve (FT74XA-42) – this replaces the standard sprung backpressure valve when processing with particulate-containing products (requires a compressed air supply).
- Sterilisation link (FT74XA-45) – this enables the FT74XA to provide sufficient heat to sterilise the Armfield FT83 sterile filler.
- Variable holding tube (FT74XA-65) – This comprises three separate holding tubes mounted inside an insulated stainless steel housing. The coils, used independently or in conjunction, provide seven different holding times between 30s and 120s at 10 L/h. Intermediate holding times are possible by varying the product flow rate. It can be used with both the tubular and plate heat exchanger. It is supplied with a temperature sensor so that the temperatures in and out of the holding tube are monitored and recorded. Other holding tubes are available on request.
FT74XA Heat Exchanger Service Unit
Progressing cavity variable-speed pump, with standard and high flow modes.
Particulate handling: 0.8mm
Fibre handling: 25mm
Standard flow: 10-30 l/hr
High flow: Up to 120 l/hr
Pressurised water circulator
Water capacity: 4.0 litres
Pump circulation rate: Variable up to 6 l/m
Water temperature: 165°C maximum
Mechanical pressure relief valve
Heating duty: 4 or 6 kW
Plate heat exchangers
Plate overall dimensions: 75 x 115mm
Effective diameter: 3.0mm
Plate thickness: 0.5mm
Wetted perimeter: 153.0mm
Plates: 316 stainless steel
Gaskets: Food-grade silicone
Working pressure: 10 bar (max)
Standard holding tubes: 2s and 15s
(product side): 8.1mm
Overall diameter: 15.8mm
Length (heated): 800mm
Material: 316 stainless steel
Assembled test pressure: 15 bar
Working pressure: 10 bar (maximum)
Standard holding tubes: 2s and 15s
Features & Benefits
Platinum resistance (PT100) temperature sensors for high accuracy
- Variable holding tube option (FT74XA-65)
- Fully instrumented: product pressure and flowrate(electromagnetic flow meter – FT74XA-40) and temperatures throughout the process and hot water/cold water service temperatures.
- Two-stage cooling capability for plate and tubular heat exchangers (eg towns water then glycol – Armfield FT63) – optional
- Rapid switch-over between heat exchanger types
- Low product hold-up means that tests can be made with a few litres of product
- Suction feed capability (FT74XA-41 or FT74XA-53) to operate in conjunction with an external feed tank.
- Independent operation or within a continuous process in both aseptic and non-aseptic modes
- Automated SIP capability (FT74XA-45) for system sterilisation prior to aseptic operation
- Touchscreen control of all operations (15 inch, 1366×768)
- Independent pre-heat hot water loop and product temperature control (FT74XA-46)
- Seamless homogenisation integration (FT74XA-91) upstream or downstream with automatic speed control through the FT74XA touchscreen.
- Recipes saved in the system for instant set-up of operating parameters for particular products.
- Backpressure control using a sprung diaphragm valve or pinch valve (FT74XA-22) for products containing solids.
- Controlled cooling (FT74XA-51) – product outlet temperature from the secondary cooling stage is automatically controlled to the value chosen by the operator.
- On-screen calculation of holding times from flow meter reading and display of Fo value based on holding time and temperature.
- Baby foods
- Desserts and puddings
- Fruit and vegetable purées
- Fruit juices and cordials
- Sauces and soups
- Gelatine products
- Pet food
- Health and nutritional products
- Culture media
- Protein drinks
Tubular heat exchangers FT74XA-20
- It consists of a series of 316L grade Stainless steel concentric tubes split int product preheat, main heat and cooling stages. For the standard tubular heat exchanger (5 tubes) the product preheat temperature is controlled manually using a needle valve to control hot water flow on the service side.
- Product flows down the middle of the centre tube and the heating or cooling medium flows counter-currently through the anulus.
- The surface area for cooling can be doubled (2 extra tubes) by specifying the -24 option.
Miniature plate heat exchanger FT74XA-30
- The standard FT74XA-30 has a regeneration section that uses heat from hot product to heat incoming product. There is also a main heat and cooling stage. A number of options can be added:
- FT74XA-31/32 Homogeniser plate upstream (-31) of main heat and downstream (-32) of main heat.
- FT74XA-33 Dual stage cooling gives an extra cooling stage (can be serviced by Armfield FT63 recirculating glycol chiller) to enable very low (< 5°C) product outlet temperatures.
- FT74XA-34 provides extra plates in the pre-heat and main heat sections which can be beneficial when operating at higher product flow rates for pasteurisation’s.
- When FT74XA is fitted with controllable pre-heat (-46) then the plate heat exchanger does not have regeneration and instead initial heating of the product is by the pre-heat hot water loop and the desired product pre-heat temperature is set using the touchscreen.
A wide range of equipment is available for use in conjunction with the FT74XA system to enhance the overall processing capability.
- FT90/91 Homogenisation Subsystems
- FT83 Sterile Filling System
- FT63 Process Chiller
- FT140 Mixing Vessels
- Integrated systems
In addition to our standard offering, Armfield offer a service to design and build complete bespoke integrated processing lines optimized to your specific requirements.
- Electricity supply: Single or Three phase (see ordering codes)
- Water supply: Required for product cooling, typically 5 l/min (or FT63 Process Chiller)
Packed and crated shipping specifications
Gross weight: 380Kg
- FT74XA-A: 220-240V/1ph/50Hz (30A max)
- FT74XA-G: 220-240V/1ph/60Hz (30A max)
- FT74XA-E: 380V/3ph/50Hz (16A max)
- FT74XA-F: 220-240V/3ph/60Hz (25A max)